Congratulations! You’ve successfully created a fantasy league with your friends on DraftBuff. After picking up an absolute steal in the 6th round, you’re stoked to go head to head with your friends every week. You’re pretty sure your team is perfect, and it’s going to carry you straight to the championship! Nothing can stop you from fantasy dominance…
Week 1 rolls around and you realize maybe this isn’t going to be as easy as you thought. You lose handily to your friend and they’re relentless with their Vikerr emotes. Eh, maybe your team could use some work. Time to work the waiver wire!
Waivers ensure a fair way to add/drop players who aren’t on a team yet. Here’s how they work:
- At midnight PST* after all games for the week are complete, any unclaimed players get placed on waivers
- At that point, anyone can place a “claim” for a player off waivers. You rank your “claims” based on which players you want the most
- After 48 hours**, waivers are processed in order:
- The initial order is set by reverse draft order (whoever got the last pick in the draft, gets first priority for waivers)
- Once someone is awarded a claim, they get moved to the back of the waiver order and everyone else moves up a slot
- So if you didn’t win your claim at least you’re closer to the top for next time
- The example below illustrates further how waivers work:
- Assuming games end on a Monday, rosters unlock at Monday 11:59 PST
- Team Banana places a claim for Player A and plans to drop Player C
- Team Sloth places a claim for Player A and plans to drop Player D
- Team Sloth also places a claim for Player B and plans to drop Player E
- Since Team Banana had the last pick in the draft, Waiver order is as follows: 1. Team Banana, 2. Team Sloth
- On Wednesday, claims are processed. Team Banana is first in order and gets Player A. Team Banana then moves to the back of the order. Player C is dropped and now Player C is placed on a 2 day waiver
- Team Sloth is now first in order, but their first claim Player A is already taken. So they get their second claim, Player B and now Player E is placed on a 2 day waiver
- If Team Banana didn’t make a claim, they’ll stay at the top of the waiver order
- In addition to all free agents put on waivers at the conclusion of the week’s play, any time a player is removed from a team (from trades, free agent exchanges, or waivers), they also go on waivers
Good luck and feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
- Process more than 1 waiver claim per user – At the current time of writing (1/30), each player will only receive 1 person off waivers. We don’t keep going until all waiver claims are made. We have a task here to modify this so please provide your feedback in the link.
- Reverse standings – At the current time of writing (1/30), we don’t support reverse standings waivers. Here, the waiver order is reset every week based on weekly standings. We have a task here to support this.
- Disabling waivers – At the current time of writing (1/30), we don’t support disabling waivers entirely. Here’s the task to support this.
- Customizable waiver period – At the current time of writing (1/30), we don’t support customizing the waiver period. Here’s the task to support this.
* Roster unlocks dates and times vary by esport and are indicated in your app
** We currently process waivers at 12 PM EST daily.
*** We don’t process waivers during game play. Here’s the breakdown for when your waivers will be processed: